P: 980.355.9798 | E: info@tranlawfirmpllc.com | Connect With Us on FB, G+, & LinkedIn

Immigration Law

The Tran Law Firm handles many types of Immigration and Naturalization matters including: family immigration, citizenship, criminal alien and deportation issues, immigration litigation and court appearances, visas, passports, immigrant and non-immigrant visas, asylum petitions, marriage and fiancé cases, adjustment of status, change of status, and family visa petitions. 

Family Based Petitions
Family unity is important, and our goal is to ensure that you can rest easy knowing that your family is protected. We have assisted the parents, grandparents, children, and grandchildren of our clients in coming to and legalizing in the United States.

The Tran Law Firm is committed to providing care and personalized services to our clients and their families. We provide experienced and tailored services to our clients, fully considering the needs and issues of each particular person recognizing that no two client will present the exact same legal challenges.

Family Based Petitions include all forms of green card applications, whether the applicant is in the United States (adjustment of status) or outside the United States (consular processing).

Our services include:

  • Adjustment of status
  • Marriage cases 
  • Fiancé visas 
  • Student visas 
  • “U” & “V” visas
  • Removal of conditional resident status 
  • Visa extensions
  • Consular processing 
  • Humanitarian parole
  • Citizenship 
  • Derivative citizenship 
  • Work authorization 
  • Re-entry permits and other travel documents
  • Refugee travel documents
  • Motions to reconsider/reopen

Legal Permanent Residency
Legal Permanent Residents are non-citizens who has been granted authorization to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis.  As proof of that status, a person is granted a permanent resident card, commonly called a “green card.”

The grant of legal permanent residency is achieved by petitioning the U.S. government for permission to remain in the U.S. for an indefinite period of time. Lawful permanent residents may leave the U.S. multiple times and re-enter, as long as they do not intend to stay outside the U.S. greater than the time allowed by the government. Staying outside of the country for more than this time limit (without a re-entry permit) may result in loss of permanent resident status.

Once you become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder), you maintain permanent resident status (“LPR”) until you: (1) apply for and complete the naturalization process; or (2) lose or abandon your status.

LPR status can be lost by an LPR remaining outside the U.S. for too long a period and as a result being charged with having abandoned residency. Resident status can also be lost via the LPR having committed certain acts which resulted in criminal convictions, being placed in removal proceedings, failing to remove conditions on residency,  among other reasons.

We are experienced in securing permanent residency for our clients. We can also assist with any issues that may arise with maintaining your permanent resident status.

Naturalization is the process by which a foreign citizen becomes a citizen of a new country.  Citizenship is the status of a person recognized under the custom or law as being a legal member of a sovereign nation.

Our attorneys are highly skilled with Naturalization and Citizenship issues. We handle all citizenship matters including derivative citizenship for children, and applications under the Child Citizenship Act.  We can assist you in obtaining naturalization or a certificate of citizenship and determine whether you are eligible for citizenship as a matter of law, based upon permanent residence or military service.  We can also advise whether or not you should file for citizenship in light of criminal convictions you may have.

Fiancé Visas
U.S. citizens are allowed to petition the government for a visa that will allow his/her fiance permission to enter the United States. To be eligible for a fiance visa, the couple must intend to marry within 90 days of the entry of the fiancé. Each individual must be free to marry immediately and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment. The couple must have met, in person, at least once within two years of filing the petition.

The government does allow for two exceptions to the meeting requirement; (1) if the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of the USC’s, or the USC’s fiancé’s foreign cultural or social practice, or (2) if the USC could prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to him or her.

Once issued, the fiancé visa allows the fiancé to enter the United States for 90 days so that the marriage ceremony can take place. Once married, the USC’s spouse can apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application.

Immigration Services Offered by the Tran Law Firm
Family Based Petitions; Legal Permanent Residence; Adjustment of Status; Consular Processing; Special Immigrant Visas; Special Immigrant Juvenile Petitions; Extensions of Status; Changes of Status; U visas; T visas; Student visas; Fiancé visas; Naturalizations, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA); Affirmative Asylum cases; Provisional Waiver Requests; Consular and Passport Services, Citizenship Certificates; Employment Authorizations; Removal of Conditions on Permanent Resident Cards; Replacement of Naturalization/Citizenship Document 

Back to Top
Your Dependable Lawyer Providing Confidential, Knowledgeable, & Professional Legal Services in North Carolina